Re: LAS 6.0 Installation

First, answers to Steve C's questions:

Since later on in the configure script it does correctly get your fully
qualified hostname, would it not be better for the script to use this as
the default for the MySQL configuration too?

I agree with you. We only discovered the configuration problem after the current version of LAS shipped (my RedHat 7.3 happens to be configured correctly so the problem doesn't occur there). It will be in the next release of LAS.

I'm still confused about if Apache is or should be used at all. It seems
that all of the functionality is through the Tomcat server so all I'd be
using the Apache server to do is to redirect to port 8080. If I want the
LAS 6.0 URL to be :
http://rocky.umeoce.maine.edu/las6
then I'm thinking that I'd just create the las6 directory and put an
index.html that contains a META Redirect to the port 8080 server at:
http://rocky.umeoce.maine.edu:8080/las6/servlets/dataset
This would just make it easier for people to remember the URL and type it
in.
Is this what the recommended setup is?

Apache is required for the LAS data server (see below).

If you don't want users to have to remember the Tomcat server port, you might want to configure your Apache server as a proxy (rather than configuring a META redirect). To the user it will appear as though the accessing the UI server on the normal HTTP port. Try something like this in your Apache config file:

Add the following if not already included in your Apache config file:

AddModule mod_proxy.c
ProxyRequests on

And then, for your example:

ProxyPass /las6/ http://rocky.umeoce.main.edu:8080/las6/
ProxyPassReverse /las6/ http://rocky.umeoce.main.edu:8080/las6/

After a server restart, you should be able to access the server as:

http://rocky.umeonce.main.edu/las6/servlets/dataset

Finally, for those that are interested in the architecture, here are the gory details:

LAS is really two servers -- a user interface (UI) server and a data server. The user interface server is written in Java as a servlet and uses the Tomcat server. The data server uses the Apache server, is written in Perl, and runs as a CGI script. The separation of the UI and data server allows users to (relatively) easily create "sister servers" -- servers where a UI on one machine can access multiple LAS data servers residing on other machines. Cartoons of the LAS architecture are shipped as part of the LAS distribution (in las\doc\diagrams\lasBlockExplanation.html).

Both the LAS UI server and the LAS data server access the MySQL server. My original design for LAS had the servers directly accessing the XML configuration info, but this didn't scale very well. In the current design, when genLas.pl is run the XML configuration files are serialized to the database, and the UI and data servers then access only the database, not the XML files. This turns out to be much faster.