Re: LIST command

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Emilie Vanvyve wrote:

> I try to list a variable and put the result into a file. Say this
> variable is called "temp" and has 1 dimension (vertically : 10 pressure
> levels : 50 hPa, 100 hPA, 150 hPa, ..., 500 hPa).
>
> If I want to use the format (because indeed I will have 11 temp-like
> variables to list in columns) and I do this :
>
> list/append/file=list.dat/format=(f7.2) i, temp
>
> J /  1:   1.00 -65.65
> J /  2:   2.00 -63.50
> ... and I have lost the information about the pressure-levels values
> (50, 100, ..., 500 hPa).

Hi Emilie,
	The format you supplied does not provide information for the
"i" column and is being ignored.  And since you want to save the
pressure-levels you should probably use something like

list/nohead/form=(2f7.2)/file=list.dat x[g=temp],temp

if the "temp" data are along the x axis (use y[g=temp] or use z[g=temp]
... depending on what you see when you do a "show grid/all temp" )

If temp has more than 1 column adjust form=(2f7.2) accordingly.  Note
that no integer formats are allowed for output of ferret data which
are treated as floating point numbers, ie use (f5.0) rather than (i4)
even if the values are integers.

Good luck,
Mick.

PS: You mention that you may have several columns of "temp" data.
If you intend to read back these data into another ferret
session it may be better to output the depth axis into one
file (to be read back in order to define the z-axis), and
the "temp" data to a second file.  Then you could re-read
from the "depth" file the common pressure data and use it with
the /from_data option to define a z-axis, and use that (with another
axis describing the "locations") to read the "temp" data into a 2-D
grid where the data could be contoured.
If a column of pressure and several columns of temp are mixed in
a single file the re-reading of the data to a 2-D grid is messier.