Re: Question about palette

Hello,
There are several ways to control which color corresponds to which
value of the data. First I will give a simple method, but it is not very
flexible, and you will probably want to use the second idea.

1) Within one Ferret session or script, if you have issued a fill or shade
command which automatically chooses levels on the palette, you can
make more plots with the same levels by using the /LEVELS qualifier
with no arguments.  For example,

  yes? use coads_climatology
  yes? set view upper
  yes? shade/L=1 sst

  yes? set view lower
  yes? shade/levels/L=1/x=150:300/y=-40:40 sst

Compare that with what happens in the second plot without the
/LEVELS command.

2) You have even more control over the palettes if you use a palette which
is defined by_value.  In these kinds of palettes, the same value of the
data field is always represented by the same color.  You will need
to create a custom palette for your particular kind of data, so that the
values correspond to the range of values in that data.  There is a discussion
of the kinds of palettes and how to create them in the Users Guide, in the
index under "palette, creation".  You will want to study the second type
that is listed in that section, palettes by_value.

There is also a FAQ which shows examples of many of the palettes that
are included with Ferret :  How can I find a good color palette for my plot?
at http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/FAQ/graphics/colorpalettes.html

and there is a demonstration script with Ferret,
  yes? go palette_demo

The third example in this script shows plots using a by_value palette.

Ansley Manke

du hui wrote:
Hi, I have a question.
I am trying to plot some data and compare it with others plot. What I want is to represent the same varialbe value with the exactly same color. Unfortunately, I have no detailed information about how the plot with which I want to compare my plot map the color. For example, I want to plot wind speed. The present plot has the values from -5m/s to 5m/s. however my wind speed values range from -9m/s to 9m/s. How can I produce the plot with the same color representing the same value. I think the present plot's palette is by percent.
Anybody can give me some hints. Thanks a lot

与联机的朋友进行交流,请使用 MSN Messenger:  http://messenger.msn.com/cn