Oregon State University
- PhD, 1988, University of California at Santa Barbara, Geology
- B.A., 1981, Colorado College, Geology
Areas of Interest
- Physical volcanology, Volcano monitoring, Submarine eruption processes
- List of scientific papers published since 1990 (via the PMEL web site)
- List of scientific papers published before 1990
submarine volcanism on the Juan de Fuca and Gorda Ridges in the NE
- Working with the NOAA/EOI Program to document and study recent volcanic eruptions, including the 2011 eruption at Axial seamount.
- Working on the development of new seafloor instruments to detect and monitor submarine volcanic eruptions. Much of this work has been done at Axial Seamount, first as part of NOAA's New Millennium Observatory (NeMO), and now as part of NSF's Ocean Observatories Initiative.
- Exploration of active submarine volcanoes in the Pacific Ring-of-Fire, including:
- Monitoring and geological studies of active volcanoes on land
Links to other cool stuff
- NOAA's Ocean Exploration web site includes photos and movies from our Submarine Ring of Fire expeditions. Be sure to check out the movies from the 2006 expedition when we saw an underwater volcano erupting and red rock on the seafloor! You might also want to check out the Magic Mountain Virtual Site.
- The NeMO web site - a compilation of research at an active underwater volcano (Axial seamount, off the coast of Oregon and Washington). NeMO Explorer has virtual views of the seafloor, fly-through movies, virtual panoramas and lots of video clips. NeMO Dive! lets you make a simulated dive to the seafloor with a remotely operated vehicle. There is also Educational Curriculum available on the NeMO web site.
- The EOI Program Multimedia Page has additional video clips.
- Slope maps of bathymetry around the Big Island of Hawaii (from Moore and Chadwick, 1995)
- A bathymetric map of the Galapagos islands, compiled from a diverse set of data sources (available as a GMT grid, ArcInfo grid, or postscript file by ftp).
- A few of my old VOLCANO PHOTOS