Re: Menu building for in-situ (point) data

Ben,

After some conversation with others in the LAS community, I realize that the server-side map (which is the piece of software that is throwing the exception you reported) behaves differently than that Java applet in that it does not allow an axis with only a single point. This difference in behavior is a bug in the server-side map and will be corrected in a future release. Meanwhile, the suggestion below of defining a small region will likely work as a temporary fix.

Roland

Roland Schweitzer wrote:

Ben,

The configuration of the axis ranges controls the valid area on the map from which the user can select data. If you configure the axis for a single point, it will be impossible for the user to see and to select that point given the limitations of the map size. Configure your axis to cover a small area around the point of interest. You might also consider following the instructions at the bottom of http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/FAQ/modifying_LiveMap.htm to create a more custom custom map background image.

Roland

Ben Burford wrote:

Hello LASers,

I'm having trouble building menus for station data (time series data at a si
ngle lat/lon location). I built the axes the same as I saw in another LAS x
ml file (DODS_UHSLC_fast_hourly.xml). I set the x and y axes to step=1 and
size=1 because this is in-situ data recorded at a point location:

<axes>
<CEOP_insitu_X units="degree_east" type="x">
<arange start="191.143" step="1" size="1"/>
</CEOP_insitu_X>
<CEOP_insitu_Y units="degree_north" type="y">
<arange start="53.8433" step="1" size="1"/>
</CEOP_insitu_Y>
<CEOP_insitu_T units="hours" type="t">
<arange start="2002-Oct-01 01:00:00" step="1" size="48"/>
</CEOP_insitu_T>
</axes>

When the map applet page came up it appeared OK for about 2 seconds and then
the page changed to display an error (the file attached to this email is th
e full text of the error message):
"javax.servlet.ServletException: xlo cannot be equal to xhi"

It seems to me that xlo would have to be equal to xhi for station data at a lat/lon point.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

Ben