query on a netcdf file using matlab

Hi folks
I need to use a matlab toolbox t_tide as one backend application to analyze data
for my LAS site. My data files are in netcdf format and I have a matlab toolbox
for netcdf file http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/staffpages/cdenham/public_html/MexCDF/nc4ml5_guide.html.
The problem is that the matlab netcdf toolbox seems not to support query on netcdf file, say
on time/depth/lon/lat. There are some solutions I might choose
1) use ferret to query and extract data out of netcdf file, save them in text files, and the use matlab
to read those text fiels and process them.
2) I also found an older version "t_tide" package written in fortran. I'm wondering is it possible to call the fortran
external function from ferret ? and how difficult will it be?
Thanks a lot for your information.
Cheers, Ding