Re: ease of DODS & LAS

Charlton,

You should be able to point addXml.pl at a DODS dataset.  It will access the remote file and create an appropriate .xml file for inclusion in las.xml.  Example:

prompt> cd $lasroot/las/server
prompt> ../xml/perl/addXml.pl --name MSU_monthly --out_inc ../xml/perl/template.xml MSU_montly.xml http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-nc/Datasets/msu/precip.mon.mean.nc
**File: http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-nc/Datasets/msu/precip.mon.mean.nc
prompt>

The resulting file, MSU_monthly.xml, is ready to be included in las.xml with the xml include syntax described here:

  http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/FAQ/xml_includes.html

This capability is part of the code in LAS v5.2 and 6.0.  If you have an earlier version of LAS you should consider upgrading to version 6.0.

-- Jon

Charlton Purvis wrote:

General question.I’ve looked at the documentation and faq, specifically “Serving remotely held data via DODS”.

If my goal is to serve a DODS dataset through LAS, how can I make the necessary changes to las.xml (I suppose through genLas.pl) w/o having the original data, e.g. netCDF at my fingertips?

In other words, I can go through the addXml.pl procedure w/ the netCDF on my local disk and then do genLas.pl.But is there no way to completely reference a dataset w/o having to go through the .xml process?If the data truly is served via DODS, it would be neat to simply ask LAS to read the metadata straight from the source w/o having me monkey w/ the .xml.

Thanks,

Charlton

Charlton Purvis

(803) 777-4453 : voice