ease of DODS & LAS

General question.  I’ve looked at the documentation and faq, specifically “Serving remotely held data via DODS”.

If my goal is to serve a DODS dataset through LAS, how can I make the necessary changes to las.xml (I suppose through genLas.pl) w/o having the original data, e.g. netCDF at my fingertips?

In other words, I can go through the addXml.pl procedure w/ the netCDF on my local disk and then do genLas.pl.  But is there no way to completely reference a dataset w/o having to go through the .xml process?  If the data truly is served via DODS, it would be neat to simply ask LAS to read the metadata straight from the source w/o having me monkey w/ the .xml.

Thanks,

Charlton

Charlton Purvis

(803) 777-4453 : voice