DODS/LAS and proxy servers

Our LAS server is behind a firewall which requires all outgoing HTTP
requests to be channelled through an authenticating proxy server.

This means that if I want to make available an external DODS dataset on
our LAS site, I somehow need the DODS HTTP request to provide a username
and password to the proxy server.

I note that the most recent version of DODS (3.2) has made a non-standard
extension to the URL syntax for HTTP (RFC 1738) to enable this (together
with a ~/.dodsrc file which specifies the proxy server):

http://<proxy-username>:<proxy-password>@<dods-host>/<dods-dataset-path>

Leaving aside the standards issue, in principle I should then be able to
do this by putting a DODS URL in this form in the LAS XML.

I have an older version of LAS in which this doesn't work, but I'm
wondering whether the latest version supports DODS URLs of this form?

Cheers,
 - Andrew

Andrew Woolf  (awo@mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk)
Environmental Systems Science Centre (ESSC)
Reading University
3 Earley Gate
Whiteknights
Reading RG6 6AL
UNITED KINGDOM
Phone: +44 (0)118 931 8741   Fax: +44 (0)118 931 6413