netCDF variable name problem

Hi,

I have encountered a problem using LAS/Ferret to plot a particular
variable from a group of netCDF file I have set up under LAS. The variable in
question is named 'NE' in the netCDF file. The GenericLAS_debug.txt file
reports the following:

yes? GO "/tmp/lasgo167401535644.jnl"
 **ERROR: command syntax: ne
          ne may not start an expression
CONTOUR/FILL/levels=30/set ne
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

killing...Waiting for Ferret to exit...
Ferret exited...

So it appears that because 'ne' is a Ferret operator, it is not
recognized as a variable name in this context. Is there a workaround for
this problem short of rewriting all the netCDF files and giving the
variable another name?
 -Dave Brown
 dbrown@ucar.edu