Re: netCDF variable name problem

Hi Dave,

In the Users Guide (Ch3 Sec1.2. File variables -- or in the index "Variable /
names, invalid in NetCDF files") you'll find

     In some netCDF files the variable names are not consistent with
     Ferret's rules for variable
     naming. They may be case-sensitive (for example, variables "v" and "V"
     defined in the same file),
     may be restricted names such as the Ferret pseudo-variable names I, J,
     K, L, X, Y, Z, T,
     XBOX, YBOX, ZBOX, or TBOX, or them may include "illegal" characters
     such as "+", "-",
     "%", blanks, etc. To access such variable names in Ferret file simply
     enclose the name in single
     quotes. For example,

     yes? PLOT 'x'

I suggest that you handle this in LAS by creating an initialization script for
this data set which contains the single line

    LET valid_name = 'invalid_name'

and then configure LAS to use "valid_name". That way no further modifications to
scripts would be required.

    - steve

P.S. The procedures for creating initialization scripts have varied a bit between
LAS versions. Check back with las@pmel.noaa.gov if it is unclear how to create
'em in your version.

--

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744