adding labels

I'm trying to add labels to a plot without a lot of success.  With the
label and ppl label commands, I have only been able to place text inside
the plot.  I want to place text outside the plot near the plot title.
The script I am using works with the Live Access Server and uses netCDF
data that already has titles in it that I do not want to overwrite.  How
would I go about placing additional text under the primary plot title?

Thanks

--
Curt Crandall
Programmer/Analyst