various misc. items

I often use Ferret to plot data over small regions where the distance scale is constant.  I invariably want to add a nice looking distance scale, and do so during post-processing of a GIF image.  Is there a more direct way?  Has someone written a script that will do this on a Ferret plot?

When I plot lon/lat axes for these small areas the axis tick labels are in decimal degrees.  It would be nice to have an option for deg, min, sec labels where the degree and or minute value appears only as many times as required (e.g., if the range were from 124.15 to 124.25 then the degree label would appear only once).  At present I (again) do this during post-processing of a GIF image.

When I input west longitudes from a file in the format "xx.xxW" and plot the data, the X-axis is inverted.  For example, if the range is 135W to 133W then the axis is plotted from 133 to 135.  My solution is to input the angles as negative values; however, this results in negative tick labels.  Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

On the subject of aspect ratios in windows.  It seems to me that if the X and Y scales are equal, then there should be a way of having Ferret generate the correct aspect ratio automatically after specifying either the X or Y dimension.  At present I am required to determine (min,max) ranges for both X and Y axes, do a little bit of arithmetic, then specify the ASPECT=Y/X option.  This strikes me as something that arises so frequently that a new option is warranted, thus letting Ferret do the math automatically.

I sometimes want to have more than one color bar appear on a plot.  Is this possible?  When I overlay one shading on top of another I would expect both color keys to appear, however this does not happen—only the original key appears.  Is there a way of having more than one color key?  Also, can one control the labeling (e.g., size, frequency, side of scale) and position (e.g., left or right side of plot) of the key?