batch mode with unmapped

Hello,

I have tried using Ferret in batch mode with the -unmapped option to
produce some graphics, but I've gotten strange results. We have SARC 2 &
10 workstations running Solaris 2.4.  When I run this batch script with
-unmapped to produce a gif file, I get a blank, white image (which,
however, has been resized to the window aspect I requested!).

However, when I did the same thing but while running from my X emulator
from my PC, I didn't get a blank page, I got the graphics with a
background filled with "noise" (like TV static) or fragments of my
graphics. It looks like whatever actual drawing I request (shade, text,
labels, legends, etc) does get drawn in this case, but everything else is
scrambled.

Has anyone experienced this before? I wanted to get some feedback before
asking my system manager (he is hard to get); I asked another general
computer guru and he didn't know.

Thanks,

Emilio Mayorga
University of Washington
School of Oceanography			emiliom@u.washington.edu
Box 357940				ph. (206) 543-5334
Seattle, WA  98195-7940	  USA		FAX (206) 685-3351
http://boto.ocean.washington.edu/staff_pages/emilio/