Re: batch mode with unmapped

Hi Emilio,

        Running on an SGI, I have experienced the same problems. If you produce
a PS file batch mode works fine, but when trying to get a GIF file I get a
blank screen also. Even more interesting, if I do anything else while making
GIF files that obscures the ferret window (even a screen saver) I get a gif
file that contains whatever obscures the ferret screen.

        As far as fixes, I use pstogif to convert .ps files to gif. I believe
that the new version of ferret is supposed to have the ability to run
completely disconnected (even with -unmapped you have to have a legitimate
DISPLAY set). The suggestion is also to use some psuedo x-window. It's an
application that is mentioned in the manual somewhere, but I have been unable
to locate it.

        Good Luck, Mark

	      Dr. Mark Verschell (verschell@coaps.fsu.edu)
	      Center for Ocean and Atmospheric Prediction Studies
	      Florida State University
              2035 E. Paul Dirac Drive
              R.M. Johnson Bldg. - Suite 200
	      Tallahassee, FL  32306-3041
	      (904) 644-6935              (904) 644-4841 (fax)