Re: [ferret_users] spawn stops working

Hello all,

Thanks so far for all suggestions given at the beginning of the month.
Maybe this won't get solved, as the problem occurs sporadically for no
apparent reason.

Le 2015-11-04 Ryo a écrit:
> [...]
> So, I guess in your case,
>
> > sp my-linux-command
> > sp sleep 1
>
> my-linux-command spawns subprocesses and exits without waiting for
> them to complete.

Exactly: it happened again today, after a long time.

> I don't know what's causing Marco's problem, but if the SPAWN command
> just hangs, that means the command it executes is hanging.  Do you see
> some system messages (like /var/log/messages) that suggest some
> problem like trying to mount an NFS filesystem . . . ?

No, /var/log/messages doesn't produce anything as a consequence of
using the SPAWN command.

Same problems for the SPAWN() function (suggested by Patrick).

Karl suggested it may be my bash scripts (that's the shell I'm using).
It shouldn't produce output.  It sources /etc/bashrc, set aliases and
shell variables.  It also runs unicode_start(1) and xmodmap(1); I
excluded those (will run only on my workstation now).  Furthermore, it
sources a bash script that reloads the the Modules package ferret (the
rest of that script is just directly setting shell variables).

Since the problem does not occur often, it is difficult to troubleshoot.

Marco

--
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et l'Environnement (LSCE)
Tel: +33 1 6908 3876