[ferret_users] wind stick plot

Dear Ferreters,
I am trying to represent wind velocity and direction in the same plot using stick plot.
I could do it with a data set having u and v components of wind-see windstick_ferret.gif. I presume that the length of the stick is proportional to the wind speed sqrt(u^2+v^2) and the direction of the stick indicates the direction to which wind is blowing. But I don't understand why the Y-axis shows postive as well as negative values, where as wind speed should be always positive. I attach my journal file here.
I found a different representation of the same idea elsewhere, thogh I don't know whether such a plot could be generated with ferret. I attach the figure here-windstick_arrows.gif.

Please clarify my doubt and tell if there is a way to plot the picture with arrows, like the second figure.

Thanks in advance,
Thuckan.

Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with Rediff Deal ho jaye!