[ferret_users] composite variable along dataset

Hi,

I need to composite one variable in 48 of netCDF files.

The variable name and dimensions (i, j, k, l) in each nc file are the
same. And the values for x (lon), y (lat), z (depth), and t (time) in
each file are the same for all nc files.

I would like to merge those 48 files in an automatic way so that the
value for each x, y, z, and t will be the average of valid values of
those 48 files at the same location. I would also like to get and save
the total number of valid record at each grid point (i,j,k,l).

Please help!

PS: If it is something doable, I will need the solutions for two situations:

1) I will be able to load and work with all 48 files in ferret at the
same time - good for now
2) I can only load one or two files in ferret at one time due to memory
limitation

Thanks,

--- Peng