[ferret_users] Re: Problem with PPL$YLEN height of plot

Hi Patrick,
Just some background, what's happening with the two plots, is that by default when the margins are too small for a label, the Y origin is adjusted to make room. There's a plot qualifier PLOT/NOYADJUST, which would prevent the axis size from changing - search for NOYADJUST in the users guide (the new searchable Users Guide at http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/documentation/users-guide). This is discussed with some examples in the section about DEFINE VIEWPORT. You're right that the value of PPL$YLEN and PPL$YORG should change when the Y origin is reset to make room for the label under the plot.

I was thinking that a workaround might be to define your own viewports with the /AXES qualifier, rather than the GO MARGINS script, which I like for locating the viewports on the page with much greater control, but I see the same inconsistency in the resulting values of PPL$YLEN and PPL$YORG

set v UPPER
go margins 3 0.5 1 1
PLOT/VLIM=0:100/nolab I[I=1:100]*0+50
say ($VP_HEIGHT) ($PPL$YORG) ($PPL$YLEN)
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 4.4 0.5000 0.9000
4.4 0.5000 0.9000

!========================
set v LOWER
go margins 3 0.5 1 1
PLOT/VLIM=0:100 I[I=1:100]*0+50
say ($VP_HEIGHT) ($PPL$YORG) ($PPL$YLEN)
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 4.4 0.5000 0.9000
4.4 0.5000 0.9000

can view
!========================

DEFINE VIEW/AXES/x=0.2:0.8/y=0.52:0.7 vhi
DEFINE VIEW/AXES/x=0.2:0.8/y=0.02:0.2 vlo

SET VIEW vhi
PLOT/VLIM=0:100/nolab I[I=1:100]*0+50
say ($VP_HEIGHT) ($PPL$YORG) ($PPL$YLEN)
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 4.911 1.400 2.111
4.911 1.400 2.111

SET VIEW vlo
PLOT/VLIM=0:100 I[I=1:100]*0+50
say ($VP_HEIGHT) ($PPL$YORG) ($PPL$YLEN)
!-> MESSAGE/CONTINUE 3.935 0.2530 2.281
3.935 0.2530 2.281

Brockmann Patrick wrote:
Hi all,
It seems that the PPL$YLEN is not updated with a correct value
when the height of a plot is modified by use/not use of the nolab qualifier.

Run the attached script to see.
Let me know how to handle this problem because I have scripts which
do not work because of this problem.

Check also PPL$XLEN which may has the same problem.

Regards
Patrick