Re: [ferret_users] Ferret 6 on Mac OS X : can I help ?

Le 16 mars 07 à 03:46, Andy Jacobson a écrit :

Salut Olivier,

I'm sorry that I didn't see this message until today. I have been working with the PMEL ferret developers on compiling an Intel- native version of ferret for OS X. Unfortunately, I've run into a snag and I don't know how to fix it. Maybe you or someone else out there can help.

While OS X is built on unix, it doesn't support all of the common unix features. One feature it is lacking is "wide character" internationalization libraries. This "wchar" feature is deprecated in OS X in favor of an Apple solution to the problem (see Tech Note No. 2071 at http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/ tn2071.html#Section13). Unfortunately, ferret requires xgks and xgks requires wchar.

Interestingly, this problem has been solved in the past. I believe that fink.sourceforge.net used to offer a version of xgks, but I don't know how to find out what solution was used to get it to compile. Alternatively, we could strip out the internationalization support in xgks. I'm simply too busy to give this my time right now, however, so I'm getting by with Kevin O'Brien's v5.7 powerpc build running via rosetta.

Andy Jacobson has probably other things to do, like a PhD thesis for instance. Any news about him ?

Thanks for asking! I'm happily working on estimating air-sea carbon fluxes, now at NOAA in Boulder, Colorado.

Andy,

Sorry to answer so late, but I wanted to have a look inside before answering. Nice to have news from you.

I've got xgks installed on my G4 (OS X 10.4.9) through Fink. I think it came with CDAT.

In /sw/fink/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/graphics/xgks.info, you may find the way they compiled it. From that, I set up the following script :

---------
#!/bin/ksh

PREFIX=/Users/marti/Downloads/xgks-2.6
MKDIR=/Users/marti/Downloads/xgks-2.6

(export CPP_X11=/usr/X11R6/include ; export LD_X11="-L/usr/X11R6/lib - lX11" ; ./configure --prefix=${PREFIX} )

make CXX=cc port/all
make CXX=cc fontdb/all

mkdir -p ${MKDIR}/include ${MKDIR}/lib
/bin/cp -f port/misc/udposix.h ${PREFIX}/include/udposix.h
make CXX=cc prefix=${MKDIR} fontdb/all
make CXX=cc prefix=${MKDIR} fontdb/install

#----

this works, but it seems that not all xgks is compiled. If it is enough for CDAT, is it for Ferret ?

Is it worth a try ? I guess yes !!

Anyway, I'm OK to continue.

Olivier

--