Re: [ferret_users] Plot title at upper side

Hi Paulo -

As far as I know, the plot title given by /title can only go at the bottom. Therefore you will have to do this using labels (not ppl commands). Fortunately this is easy:

plot/nolab vobs, velm1, velm2, velm3, velm4, vlens ! a plot without any labels
label/nou 4 6.4 0 0 .25 Meu Titulo

If you are using the standard plot aspect ratio, the plot box is 8 inches wide by 6 inches high. Thus setting label/nou (/nouser means to work in inches rather than plot units), and specifying the position to be at x=4 (centered) and y=6.4 (0.4 above the plot top border) works pretty well. I often make 2 titles, a main one at height 6.9 and a secondary one at height 6.4.

If you have changed the aspect ratio of the plot box, here is a script that will figure these positions for you:

Make a file "getlens.go", or whatever you want to call it, in your ferret path.
Paste the following in it (between the dashed lines):

----------------
! get the current value of the PPLUS axis lengths.
let xxlen = ($ppl$xlen) ; let yylen = ($ppl$ylen)
let ctr = xxlen/2; let toplab = yylen+.9; let toplab2 = yylen+.4
say xxlen, yylen, xxlen/yylen = `xxlen`, `yylen`, `xxlen/yylen`
set mode/last verify
This defines 3 useful quantities: ctr is the center of the plot box in the x direction, and toplab and toplab2 are 0.4 and 0.9 inches above the plot box. Thus:

set win/asp=N     ! ratio of height to width; N is a number less than 2
plot/nolab vobs, velm1, velm2, velm3, velm4, vlens ! a plot without any labels go getlens.go ! run the script to define the quantities for this plot box
label/nou `ctr` `toplab` 0 0 .25 Meu Primeiro Titulo
label/nou `ctr` `toplab2` 0 0 .16 Meu Segundo Titulo

Note the back-quotes around `ctr`, `toplab` and `toplab2`. This evaluates these as numbers. Also note that the script must be run each time the plot box shape is changed.

Billy K