Re: [ferret_users] ppl yfor

Hello again,
I think we're best off just using the F8.0 format. As all values within Ferret are real numbers, and trying to write them with an integer format for output is the trouble. There is some logic that can recognize an I format code at the start of the format statement and convert the value being written to the label to an integer, but in general the Fortran format is applied as is to the real number.
For this statement,

ppl yfor,("\", i8) (DOES NOT WORK, WHY? )

We are attempting to write a real number with this I format. It fails because it translates internally to writing the real number, say 2.0 to a string using the Fortran format ("\", i8) and the result is ********.

I would suggest instead,
ppl yfor,("\", f9.0)

Where 9 rather than 8 is used to allow for the decimal point. I will see that this is documented in the Users Guide.

Ansley

Ansley Manke wrote:

Hi -
It looks like the machinery that generates strings for labels from a user-supplied format has trouble with a format statement with a string and then an I format. (The command ppl yfor ("B", i4) also fails, giving B****). I'll look into this, but in the meantime note that a format of

ppl yfor ("\", f8.0)

works. The addition of a dot a the end of your numbers may not quite be what you want but it's closer to the desired result. Note that Prasad is using "\" for a blank; if we just use " ", then subsequent processing removes the blanks preceeding the numbers.

Ansley

Prasad Thoppil (Forn-Natl) wrote:

I am trying to control the y-axis label format on the right side. See my
example below

use coads_climatology
plot/set/x=65/y=10 uwnd
ppl axlabp 1 1
ppl yfor,(f8.2) (WORKS FINE)
ppl yfor,("\", f8.2) (WORKS FINE, I NEED THIS)
ppl yfor,(i8) (WORKS FINE)
ppl yfor,("\", i8) (DOES NOT WORK, WHY? )
ppl plot

Thanks

Prasad