Re: [ferret_users] Launch ferret with rsh command

Hello Tony,

| The program work fine when I launch it from local machine, but when
| I launch it with rsh command from another machine, I have this error:
|
| open: No such file or directory
| apparent state: unit 10 named  /usr/local/ferret/ppl/fonts/fondat.dat
| lately writing sequential formatted external IO
|
| The file /usr/local/ferret/ppl/fonts/fondat.dat exists, I don't
| understand.  Do you have an idea ?

I can't tell what's wrong from your description alone, but here's
a wild guess.  One possibility is that your environmental variables
aren't set because your login script isn't sourced.  When you log
in in an ordinary way, your ~/.login is sourced if you use csh or
tcsh; or ~/.profile, if you use sh, ksh, or bash.  But, when you do

    > rsh remote-machine command

the login script (.login or .profile) isn't sourced.
(I haven't checked this because I don't have rsh.  I tested
it with ssh instead; I also found a description of a similar
problem with rsh on the net.)

A quick remedy to this problem is

   > rsh remote-machine '. $HOME/.profile; command'

for sh, ksh, and bash; or

   > rsh remote-machine 'source $HOME/.login; command'

for csh and tcsh.  (I hope HOME is always set.)

Ryo