Re: [ferret_users] Launch ferret with rsh command

Hi Tony,

Ryo has captured the nature of the problem. The environment variable "PLOTFONTS" seems to be missing from your rsh session. If you grep on PLOTFONTS you'll quickly sort the problem out.

- steve

==================================

Ryo Furue wrote:

Hello Tony,

| The program work fine when I launch it from local machine, but when
| I launch it with rsh command from another machine, I have this error:
| | open: No such file or directory
| apparent state: unit 10 named /usr/local/ferret/ppl/fonts/fondat.dat
| lately writing sequential formatted external IO
| | The file /usr/local/ferret/ppl/fonts/fondat.dat exists, I don't
| understand. Do you have an idea ?

I can't tell what's wrong from your description alone, but here's
a wild guess. One possibility is that your environmental variables
aren't set because your login script isn't sourced. When you log
in in an ordinary way, your ~/.login is sourced if you use csh or
tcsh; or ~/.profile, if you use sh, ksh, or bash. But, when you do

> rsh remote-machine command

the login script (.login or .profile) isn't sourced.
(I haven't checked this because I don't have rsh. I tested
it with ssh instead; I also found a description of a similar
problem with rsh on the net.)

A quick remedy to this problem is

> rsh remote-machine '. $HOME/.profile; command'

for sh, ksh, and bash; or

> rsh remote-machine 'source $HOME/.login; command'

for csh and tcsh. (I hope HOME is always set.)

Ryo

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin@noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744