[Ferret and LAS] Problem with _bnds coordinate variable in irregular axis

Hello,

We recently upgraded from Ferret 5.40 to 5.80 and I've encountered a problem with my irregular depth axis and the new CF compliant bnds dimension/variable.

An example error message I get from the LAS (version 5.2 - I know it's old, but I'm stuck with it for now) addXml.pl command for data set at http://dods.mbari.org/cgi-bin/nph-nc/data/OASISdata/netcdf/hourlyM0.nc.html:

  % ../xml/perl/addXml.pl --in_inc --name "M0 - hourly" hourlyDATA.xml.start hourlyDATA.xml hourlyM0.nc
  **File: hourlyM0.nc
  Dimension bnds doesn't have a coordinate variable at ../xml/perl/addXml.pl line 89

It looks like I have 2 options:

1. remove the bnds dimension/variable from my data set - or prevent it from being written in the first place; from the ferret documentation it looks like this is not possible.

2. Run a fixed addXml.pl that bypasses the bnds coordinate variable.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

-Mike

--
Mike McCann
Software Engineer