Re: [Ferret and LAS] Problem with _bnds coordinate variable in irregular axis

Mike,

As long as you're running an LAS that's that old you might as well go ahead and fix addXml.pl so that it simply ignores the bnds variable. In the very near future (July) we'll be releasing a new all-java addXML utility that will hopefully be much more robust than the older perl version you're using at the moment.

-- Jon

McCann, Mike wrote:

Hello,

We recently upgraded from Ferret 5.40 to 5.80 and I've encountered a problem with my irregular depth axis and the new CF compliant bnds dimension/variable.

An example error message I get from the LAS (version 5.2 - I know it's old, but I'm stuck with it for now) addXml.pl command for data set at http://dods.mbari.org/cgi-bin/nph-nc/data/OASISdata/netcdf/hourlyM0.nc.html:

% ../xml/perl/addXml.pl --in_inc --name "M0 - hourly" hourlyDATA.xml.start hourlyDATA.xml hourlyM0.nc
**File: hourlyM0.nc
Dimension bnds doesn't have a coordinate variable at ../xml/perl/addXml.pl line 89

It looks like I have 2 options:

1. remove the bnds dimension/variable from my data set - or prevent it from being written in the first place; from the ferret documentation it looks like this is not possible.

2. Run a fixed addXml.pl that bypasses the bnds coordinate variable.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

-Mike

--
Mike McCann Software Engineer
7700 Sandholdt Road