[Ferret] calculate climatologies from multiple LARGE files

Hi Ferret Users:

I want to calculate a monthly average from multi-year (21 years) model output.
I am aware of the example of "calculation of climatologies and climtological anomalies"
in Ferret FAQ section. And I want to do the same thing. But, the exception is that
my files are very large.

I have multi-year monthly temperature files, temp_1964.nc .... temp_1984.nc', with each file at 280MB
(Note that I couldn't shrink this file anymore, because it contains only the necessary information.
The array size is [12 43 390 700]).

I tried to use NCO command "ncrcat" to combine those files first. I can concatenate 6 files using "ncrcat",
but as the number of files increases to 10, I got an error message. Ferret's "append" function
is not an option either, because it requires lots of memory.

Anyone knows how to solve my problem?

Thanks,

Zhen

content by GMAO's MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.