Re: Informative e-mail subject lines

Hi Billy,
I second the motion.  I've incorporated the suggestions and a couple of my own to a new bit on the Mail Archives page  -

Suggestions for posting questions

  • Don't hesitate to ask "simple" questions. If you've looked in the documentation and are still wondering about something, others probably are too. (See the Support Policy page for more ideas on how to find Ferret answers.)
  • Describe your question in the subject line. A subject line of "ferret question: diurnal cycle" will receive more answers than "ferret question", as people will recognize a topic they know about. If you put "ferret" or "ferret_users" in the subect line, users will know it's from the Ferret list.
  • In your question, please say what version of Ferret and what operating system you are using. This information is in the header lines that appear when you start Ferret.
  • Go ahead and answer others' questions, using "Reply to All" so that your answer is posted to the list. The questions and answers are what makes the list such a useful resource. A partial answer or some ideas that might help are fine.
Sometimes we send messages back and forth with somebody, trying to understand the question and find an answer. If you do this, please make sure somebody writes back to the Users List with the final resolution of the problem, so it's there for other users, present and future.

Ansley

William S Kessler wrote:
At the risk of exposing myself for the curmudgeon [grognon] that I am,
can I suggest that people writing to this group use descriptive subject
headers? Subjects such as "problem", "question", etc aren't very
helpful. Better subjects would result in more replies, since more people
would recognize a situation they have some knowledge of. And considering
that many of us search the history of this e-mail list for hints, better
subject headers would be very useful.

Humph! Grump grump grump!

Billy K