Re: Making multiple subplots & save the graphics o/p

Hi Welcome to Ferret and the Users List!

I'll point you to topics in the Users Guide where you can read more about
all of your questions, and try to give a quick answer. I'm sure you've found
the on-line Users Guide at
http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation/Users_Guide/current/fer_html.htm

1) this is "viewports, advanced usage" in the Users Guide index. You want to
define your own viewports, where the limits are proprotions of the plot window

yes? define view/xlimits=0,.33/ylimits=0,.5 vll
yes? define view/xlimits=.33,.66/ylimits=0,.5 vlm
yes? define view/xlimits=.66,1/ylimits=0,.5 vlr
yes? define view/xlimits=0,.33/ylimits=.5,1 vul
yes? define view/xlimits=.33,.66/ylimits=.5,1 vum
yes? define view/xlimits=.66,1/ylimits=.5,1 vur
yes? set view vll

You might also want to change the aspect ratio of the plot page so the viewports
are propotioned nicely. There are some scripts included with Ferret which set up
a plot page and define a set of viewports. Use the Unix command Fgo to see
these; you might copy the commands from one of them for your own set-up
script.

> Fgo landscape
> Fgo portrait

2) This is under the topic "hardcopy" in the Users Guide. You can have
Ferret draw a postscript plot using a metafile. These commands will create
a metafile called metafile.plt which you can later convert to postscript:

yes? set mode meta
yes? ... plot commands ...
yes? quit

> Fprint -o myplot.ps metafile.plt

3) Here, you need to use the ideas in chapter 6, Customizing Plots.
You will use a PPL command to customize the vector key.

yes? vector/set u,v
yes? ppl vecset/nouser, -1, -1
yes? ppl vector

cshaji@UMassD.Edu wrote:

Dear Ferret Users,

I am new to using Ferret. I have a few doubts to clear.

1) How can I make multiple subplots (6 or more) in a plot window.
I understand the following will give 4 subplots. How do we go for more
than 4 plots?

set view ul !upper left
vector/overlay/l=5/leng=1./xskip=3/yskip=3 u,v

set view ur !upper right
vector/overlay/l=5/leng=1./xskip=3/yskip=3 u,v

set view ll !lower left
vector/overlay/l=5/leng=1./xskip=3/yskip=3 u,v

set view lr !lower right
vector/overlay/l=5/leng=1./xskip=3/yskip=3 u,v

2) How can I save the above graphics as postscript/pdf or better clarity
o/p ?
I used the command "frame/file=fig01.gif"
But the plot is not so good. I want to get a ps/higher quality plot.
What is the
command in Ferret for this?

3)Finally, when I plot the above current vectots, I always get the arrow
scale at the place where
the xlabel is supposed to come. How can I move the arrow scale to any of
my desired place?

Also how can I shade the land areas in the plot?

I would be glad if someone can give some useful hints.

Thanks

C. Shaji

Dr. C. Shaji
School of Marine Science and Technology
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
706 South Rodney French Blvd.
New Bedford, MA 02744-1221.
Phone: 508-910-6348 (O); 508-998-7347 (R),Fax: 508-910-6371.

To state the limitation of science is not to belittle it-M.K. Gndhi.