Re: ferret question

Hi Mark,
Yes you can do this. This is a great Ferret example. You want to regrid the climatology
data onto the time axis of the daily data, and subtract the result from the daily series. Do
you want to create the climatology time series as a step function so that you subtract the
climatological January from each January point in the daily time series, and so on? Here's
an example of how to do that. I'll use the coads_climatology dataset and create a daily
time series variable. Here I'm putting a signal into the random daily time series, but it illustrates
the method.

! create a daily time series variable
yes? define axis/t=1-jan-1990:1-jan-2000:1/units=days dayt
yes? let tt = 0.5* randu(t[gt=dayt]) - 0.25

! define the regridding transformation to put the
! climatology onto the daily series

yes? use coads_climatology
yes? let sstday = sst[x=181,y=1,gt=dayt@NRST] - 28.3

! look at the different components

yes? plot sstday
yes? plot/t=1-jan-1990:1-jan-1992 tt, sstday

! Subtract the climatology from the daily data

yes? plot/t=1-jan-1990:1-jan-1992 tt - sstday

You should look at different regridding transformations and decide which
one to use to put the climatology data onto the long daily time axis. Compare
the result if you use the @LIN regridding transform (the default) rather than
@NRST.

Ansley Manke

Mark Carson wrote:

Hi all,

I hope I can pose this question somewhat clearly. I have a temperature dataset that is gridded in time only with a grid spacing of 1 day over 50 years span (18628 time points). I would like to subtract the WOA01 monthly mean climatology from the data, but it is gridded in 12 time points - months. How can I subtract the proper month's value from my dataset when, say, January occurs over and over again throughout the 50 years, and making sure I'm subtracting it from the proper days that would be the days of January in each year? Is this doable in Ferret?

Thanks for any thoughts or info!

Mark Carson