Re: Vectors on polar stereographic plots

Hi Steven,
I don't see anything wrong with your script just from reading it,
but without the data I can't tell what might be happening.  Could you
perhaps make an example with one of the standard datasets that
comes with the Ferret distribution?

A couple of things to try, which you may of course have done

- Do a rectangular vector plot.  Do the vectors look correct?

-  In your map-projection plot, allow the default scaling of the vectors,
by leaving off the /LENGTH qualifier.

- Try the script mp_poly_vectors.  This uses a different method of
scaling and rotating the vectors.  There is a demo script, poly_vec_demo.jnl
which shows how to use this script.

Ansley Manke

Stephen Nash wrote:

I am currently trying to produce some polar stereographic plots with vectors. I have produced the same plots in a 'normal' projection and had no problems. I have also been able to produce 'fill' plots on the stereographic plots with no problems. However, when producing vector plots I only get arrows from regions where my measured field has its highest values. At some point in the code it seems that the small values are being filtered out (and they're not that much smaller):

set mode metafile
use u10_2000_01_djf.cdf
set grid u10
let pi=4*atan(1)
let wind=((u10^2)+(v10^2))^0.5
let ang=atan(v10/u10)
let dir=if u10 gt 0 then ((pi/2)-ang) else (((3*pi)/2)-ang)
let Ts=(5.1e-4)*(wind^3)
let Tsx=Ts*sin(dir)
let Tsy=Ts*cos(dir)
set window/aspect=2
set viewport lower
set region/x=0:360/y=-90:0/l=1:90
go mp_stereographic_south
!fill/levels=(0,1.5,0.1)/nolab/title="Seasonally-Averaged Integrated Stokes Transport for DJF 2000/01 based on the math of McWilliams and Restrepo, Southern Hemisphere" Ts[t=0:1@ave]*mp_mask, x_page, y_page
vector/length=0.5 Tsx[t=0:1@ave]*mp_mask, Tsy[t=0:1@ave]*mp_mask,x_page,y_page
go mp_fland
label/nouser `($PPL$XLEN)*0.5`,-0.4,0,0,.05 Seasonally-Averaged Integrated Stokes Transport for DJF 2000/01 based on the math of McWilliams and Restrepo, Southern Hemisphere
set viewport upper
set region/x=0:360/y=0:90/l=1:90
go mp_stereographic_north
!fill/levels=(0,1.5,0.1)/nolab/title="Seasonally-Averaged Integrated Stokes Transport for DJF 2000/01 based on the math of McWilliams and Restrepo, Northern Hemisphere" Ts[t=0:1@ave]*mp_mask, x_page, y_page
vector/length=0.1 Tsx[t=0:1@ave]*mp_mask, Tsy[t=0:1@ave]*mp_mask, x_page, y_page
go mp_fland
label/nouser `($PPL$XLEN)*0.5`,-0.4,0,0,.05 Seasonally-Averaged Integrated Stokes Transport for DJF 2000/01 based on the math of McWilliams and Restrepo, Northern Hemisphere
cancel mode metafile

Hope someone can help!!

Thank you,

Stephen Nash