Fill contour smoothing

Hello,

I have a question about contour smoothing using the fill command.

I have a 2d field on quite a coarse xy grid which I want to fill with
smoothed contours. Using the basic fill command, I get a piecewise linear
plot, which is the filled plot on the attached file.

Using the 'ppl conset' command in ppl with a cubic spline tension I can
obtain smooth contours (overlayed on the fill plot attached), but am not
able to fill the plot with these new smoothed contours as the boundaries.

If anyone has come across this before or can provide a solution I'd be
grateful,

Thanks in advance,

Graham Gladman

GIF image