Use of SAVE with MC data sets.

I am having problems using the 'SAVE' command in ferret.

I have the variable TEMP on a 4D grid across several datasets, and thus am

I don't have enough memory to integrate vertically (to obtain heat
content) across all time, so to get around this I have tried to calculate
heat content for each individual file (containing six points), and saving
the output using the SAVE and SAVE/APPEND commands. The syntax used is as
follows:

let hc = ntemp[k=1:33@DIN]

use run_MV_nc.000 	! FILE containing ntemp
save/file=MV_hc.nc/CLOBBER hc[l=1:6] ! Create initial output file
can data /all
use run_MV_nc.001
save/file=MV_hc.nc/APPEND hc[l=7:12] ! Append on more data
can data /all
exit

This works in principle, but when loading the new data set (which is of
the correct order of magnitude in size) I can only plot the points
relevant to the first file (1-6 in this example). Has anyone come across
this problem before? Is a solution available for it?

Thanks in advance,

Graham Gladman