[ferret_users] quicker detection of dimensions improperly specified

Ferret users and developers,

I'm wondering if it's possible to detect an improper dimension
specification, such as

  yes? fill  some_3D_variable

UP FRONT . . .  It sometimes takes quite a bit of time before we
see the error message

  **ERROR: dimensions improperly specified: must be a 2D region

especially when the dataset is accessed across the network.

I make this mistake very often and then hit Ctrl-C frantically,
which it still takes Ferret quite a bit of time to respond to.

Regards,
Ryo