Re: Eliminate default X & Y labels, ALINE command & depth labels

> Ferret Users couple quick questions,
> 1) I thought the commands:       ppl xlab " "   and    ppl ylab " "  would eliminate the default X and Y that appears on plots but doesn't seem to do the trick - any suggestions?

Hmm. In my Ferret they do:

yes? PLOT/VS/LINE/I=1:314/SET i*cos(i/20),i*sin(i/20)
yes? PPL XLAB " "
yes? PPL PLOT		! no x-label

Note the PLOT/SET, then PPL XLAB, then PPL PLOT
These commands must be given after PLOT/SET and before PPL PLOT.
They do not persist from one plotting operation to another.

Also note that the quoted space is not necessary.
Just a plain PPL XLAB will do.

> 2) How do I manipulate the line thickness using the ALINE command on a plot?

Specify a line number in the aline command:

PPL ALINE,line#,minx,miny,maxx,maxy

The line number must be one that has been used previously
in the Ferret session.

Note that other colors than the standard 6 are possible:

ppl color,6,100,100,40		! redefine magenta to yellow
ppl aline,6,.....		! draw a yellow line

The color definition persists until redefined.

> 3) I used the following script to reverse a color palette to get regions of deeper depth blue and shallow depths red however a side affect is that the depths are labeled as negative numbers in the key, any suggestions on how to easily reverse the palette without getting the negative numbers in the key?
>
> let nd = -1*depth
> shade/nolab/palette=rnb2/lev=(-4500)(-4500,-500,100)(-500, 0, 10) nd

Make your own palette. It is easy. For instance, palette rnb2 is:

> Fpalette -more rnb2
* * * * * * * * in /opt/local/ferret/ferret/ppl
  0.    0.    0.   50.
 13.    0.    0.  100.
 40.    0.   98.  100.
 67.   97.  100.    3.
 93.  100.    3.    0.
100.   76.    0.    0.

Just make another file (rnb2-rev.spk) in a Ferret-path directory,
with the color definitions reversed, and use it instead.

Billy K