[las_users] LAS v7.2 Beta

Hi All,

We are trying something a little different.  As we add features and move along toward the next LAS release we are going to experiment with periodically distributing beta versions.  We might make a release when a feature is complete or when we make a change for which we'd like to gather feedback before the final release.

Toward that end there is a snapshot of the current state of LAS v7.2 available for download from the ftp site at: ftp://ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/pub/las/las.v7.2.beta.tar.gz.  In this beta release there are three major changes:

  1. The server configuration directory will now be installed under $TOMCAT_HOME/content/las/ instead of the the directory where you unpack your LAS and run configure.
  2. Vector variables and vector plots are now supported (in XY, XT and YT dimensions) and vectors can be plotted in the vizGal comparison tool and the difference between to vector variable can be plotted in XY using vizGal.
  3. vizGal itself has new layout and some new features that allow comparisons along any axis.   For example, you can make time series plots with a different point in XY selected in each of the panels.

Remember this is beta software, so think twice and test a lot before using it in production.   This beta release does not include all of the features that will be in the final 7.2 version.

I can't tell you how often we'll make a beta release or even if we will make another one, but the current plan is to continue this practice going forward.

Finally, if you do install this version please send us feedback about it via this list.

Thanks for using LAS.

Roland