Re: [las_users] java.io.NotSerializableException

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for sending along these log entries and for trying to get to the bottom of the problem before moving on.  It's an important goal to always make sure you have a clean log at startup when debugging.  A lot of folks seem to skip that step.

However, in this case these error messages should be transient and I believe they are safe to ignore.  They relate to the attempt by Tomcat to restore the state of the user interface by reading from disk some of the objects that got saved (serialized) to disk when tomcat shutdown.  I have been able to eliminate these sorts of messages by cleaning out the work and temp areas in my $TOMCAT_HOME at startup.  The script I used to start my tomcat looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx256M -Xms256M"
CATALINA_PID="/home/porter/rhs/tomcat/webapps/UI_PID"
CATALINA_HOME="/home/porter/rhs/tomcat"
export JAVA_OPTS CATALINA_PID CATALINA_HOME
rm -rf /home/porter/rhs/tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost
rm -rf /home/porter/rhs/tomcat/logs/*
rm -rf /home/porter/rhs/tomcat/content/thredds/logs/*
rm -rf /home/porter/rhs/baker/conf/server/temp/*
find /home/porter/rhs/baker/conf/server/data/las -type f -exec rm \{} \;
exec /home/porter/rhs/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh start

You should only be this aggressive cleaning out the temp space in tomcat if you aren't running any other webapps on that server.

Roland

Jerome King wrote:
Hi all,

I have installed Armstrong 1.1 and it's running under tomcat 5.5.25 and java 1.6 on Linux.
I have tomcat set with the appropriate JAVA_OPTS, etc...
By the way, nothing but LAS is running on this tomcat to avoid problems caused by other apps.
Also, an important fact is that I installed both tomcat and LAS under the user "tomcat". I know it's good practice to run tomcat under user "tomcat", so to avoid permissions errors, I ran ./configure on LAS under the user "tomcat". I am not sure if this can cause some problems or not.

It's running fine for most of my datasets but I am debugging others.
I looked at my catalina.out and I get this error when tomcat starts:

INFO: Deploying web application archive armstrong1.1.war
2007-11-30 13:21:30,818 ERROR catalina.session.ManagerBase - IOException while loading persisted sessions: java.io.WriteAbortedException: writing aborted; java.io.NotSerializableException: gov.noaa.pmel.tmap.las.luis.FormParameters
java.io.WriteAbortedException: writing aborted; java.io.NotSerializableException: gov.noaa.pmel.tmap.las.luis.FormParameters

It looks to me that it may be a permission problem but I don't know where and what could cause this.
I want to make sure I get rid of this error before I investigate further with specific datasets problems.
Thanks for any help on this,
Jerome.

You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. Join in!