Re: [las_users] data for the 50000 years

Hi Joerg,
Special dataset or variable commands are going to be applied using a special script just for this dataset. In the new Armstrong versions of LAS, the scripts are set up so that the initialization steps are in LAS_initialize_data.jnl, which does these things:
  • initialize the dataset (set data dataset_name)

  • call any special initialization scripts needed for this particular data.

  • initialize the variable (apply region information and possibly transformations)
The CANCEL AXIS/CALENDAR command would appear in the special initialization script.

In the dataset configuration XML, the name of the initialization script is a Ferret property called  init_script, so a dataset or an individual variable might have the property given this way, where you would define your own name, of course.

              <properties>
               <ferret>
                  <init_script>longdata_initialize_data</init_script>
                </ferret>
              </properties>

and the script sst_initialize_data.jnl would contain, say, the following.  The symbol data_var will have been already defined by the call to the dataset initialization script.

! longdata_initialize_data.jnl
! This script is to initalize my long-time-series data from the dataset xxx

CANCEL AXIS/CALENDAR `($data_var),return=taxis`
EXIT

! End of longdata_initialize_data.jnl  ----------------------

This kind of init script is where the SET MEMORY command can be used to ask for more Ferret memory if the dataset is large; If an axis needs fixing with Ferret commands, or say a depth attribute is missing,  that can be added, and so on.

Ansley

Joerg Franke wrote:
Hi,
I think it might be a good idea to put CANCEL
AXIS/CALENDAR `var,return=taxis` in the ferret init scripts.

As I have no experience in editing the init scripts, can you please tell me, where I should include this command. I tried it after SET DATA
($data_url) in
/opt/las.armstrong.1.0/JavaSource/resources/ferret/scripts/LAS_initialize_dataset.jnl
but that was not changing anything.

Regards,
Jörg

Manke wrote:
Hi Joerg -
We're thinking that perhaps a CANCEL AXIS/CALENDAR `var,return=taxis` might just do the job; this would need to go in the Ferret init script.

Ansley Manke wrote:
Ferret has a hard limit for calendar time axes of 4-digit years. It can deal with an axis that's not a calendar axis, but just T=0 to 50000, but not formatted as dates. I'm not sure how/whether this can be done with descriptor files or whether there's a way to fit this in to a LAS configuration.

Ansley

Joerg Franke wrote:
Hi LAS experts,

I want to manage data for the past 50000 years in the new amstrong version of the live access server. They are 10yr averages which make 5000 timesteps in a 4D netcdf file. Now I am searching for a nice way to adjust the "Select time" menu. In the old LAS 6.5 I manipulated /las_servlet/jakarta/webapps/las/constrains.vm to show the timestep in the dropdown menue multiplied by 10. That worked alright, although in a time series plot I had the wrong dates at the time axis of course.

If I write a descriptor file for my netcdf data in amstrong now:
&STEPFILE_RECORD
\hspace*{2ex}   S_FILENAME         = 'PATH and name of first netCDF file'
S_AUX_SET_NUM      = 0
S_START            = 00000
S_END              = 09990
S_DELTA            = 10
S_NUM_OF_FILES     = 1
S_REGVARFLAG       = ' '
/

&STEPFILE_RECORD
S_FILENAME         = 'PATH and name of second netCDF file'\newline
S_AUX_SET_NUM      = 0
S_START            = 10000
S_END              = 19990
S_DELTA            = 10
S_NUM_OF_FILES     = 1
S_REGVARFLAG       = ' '
I manage to see the year I want to see in the dropdown menue of LAS and also to plot lon/lat maps for every time step, but time series plots which go beyond 9999 crash.

Does anybody has an idea how to solve that problem?

Thanks for any help.
Cheers - Jörg