Re: [las_users] Re: Examples of Javascript Components v2.x

Todd,

You've done an excellent job of figuring out the javascript components with little documentation to go by. We'll be releasing an updated set of javascript components with the next release of LAS and will hopefully provider a fuller set of documentation along with a few simple examples. Perhaps you'll have some to contribute?!

I am optimistic that this suite of components will allow creative users like yourself to implement LAS 'mashups' tailored to the needs of your audience.

-- Jon

Todd Viola wrote:

Hello, I'm following up on the message I sent yesterday. By making some changes in the HTML form that specifies the LAS request, I was able to get the "Molokai" example to work on my Armstrong server using version 1 of the Javascript components. For the sake of anyone else interested in making custom interfaces, here's what I did:

1. In the function submitXML(), change the var URL to point to your Armstrong LAS. You'll need to specify the servlet ProductServer.do instead of the older LAS script LASServer.pl

var URL = 'http://www.yourserver.org:8080/las/ProductServer.do?xml=' + escape(Req.toString());

2. In the function processChoices(), change the specified 'style' to something other than 'LAS6' so that the script generates XML using the Armstrong syntax. (I originally tried commenting out this line only to discover that if you omit it, the script assumes LAS6 behavior.)

Req.setOperation(operationString,'Armstrong');

Yesterday, I said:
I briefly looked at the comment in the code which advised me to look at the
naming of products in ui.xml. I'm assuming that is not the problem because
LAS installation is "stock" and I have not modified the UI configuration.

Today I am eating those words because looking closely at my las.xml and ui.xml files revealed two changes I needed to make in the Molokai form.

3. In the function processChoices(), change the setVariable method to match the variable name as it is configured in your las.xml. For my "stock" Armstrong installation, it was coads_climatology_cdf instead of COADS-Climatology.

Req.setVariable('coads_climatology_cdf',variableString);

4. In the "Choose a product" section of the HTML input form, change the values of the two radio buttons to match the names of the operations on your LAS. On my Armstong server, the "line" operation goes by "Plot_1D." The "txt" operation is named "Data_Extract."
<input name="operation" value="Plot_1D" checked="checked" type="radio"> Plot<br>
<input name="operation" value="Data_Extract" type="radio"> Table

With those changes in place, the form now successfully queries my Armstrong server. The finished example is online at:
http://www.dataintheclassroom.org/content/lasquery/simple-example/

I gotta hand it to the the LAS developers for including comments in their code. The information I needed *was* in there, but I had to re-read a number of times to find all the areas I needed to change. Examining the XML that was generated by the standard interface was also really helpful.

Anyway, I hope this information might be of some use to someone. Now that I have a working example, I'll be designing some simple forms to let middle school students query specific data sets.

Regards,
Todd

---
Todd Viola