Re: [las_users] "noleap" calendar not recognised by addXML

Hi Glenn,

With a little help from Brian O'Neill one of the developers at joda-time (the basis of all the time calculations in addXML) I've added support for most of the calendars (including noleap) in the CF-1.0 calendar attribute.  You can pick up the latest version from ftp://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/pub/las/addXML/addXML-1.2.tar.gz.

From the README:

This release adds support for some of the CF-1.0 calendar attributes.

The supported calendars are:

gregorian or standard
    Mixed Gregorian/Julian calendar as defined by Udunits. This is the default.
proleptic_gregorian
    A Gregorian calendar extended to dates before 1582-10-15. That is, a year is a leap year if
either (i) it is divisible by 4 but not by 100 or (ii) it is divisible by 400.
noleap or 365_day
    Gregorian calendar without leap years, i.e., all years are 365 days long.
all_leap or 366_day
    Gregorian calendar with every year being a leap year, i.e., all years are 366 days long.
julian
    Julian calendar.

Future releases will add support for 360_day and the calendars defined by the month_lenghts,
leap_year, leap_month if demand warrants.

I admit I did not test it as extensively as I should have which always comes back to haunt me.  Please try it for yourself and let me know how it goes. :)

Roland

PS: joda-time is at http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/.

Glenn Hyland wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to configure LAS (v6.5.2.1) to serve up some climate model
results. These are netCDF files which adhere to the CF-1.0 convention.
The problem is that addXML doesn't interpret the time axis values
correctly. The relevant bits of information from a typical file are as
follows:

    time {
        String long_name "time";
        String standard_name "time";
        String axis "T";
        String units "days since 0000-01-01 00:00:00";
        String calendar "noleap";
        String bounds "time_bnds";
    }

time, 730547.5, 730912.5, 731277.5, 731642.5, 732007.5, ...

The first time value corresponds to the 30 June 2001, but addXML
generates dates starting in 2000. It has obviously ignored the "noleap"
calendar setting.

Has anyone encountered this problem before, and is there a
solution/workaround?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Glenn.