Re: [las_users] limit on storage

Gary,

Your concerns are all valid. I expect in some cases it may be best to configure LAS so that time series requests are simply unavailable. In the case where time series access to the data is a requirement, however, reformatting the data should at least be considered as an option.

Reformatting the data is essentially trading CPU cycle costs for disk space costs and it is up to each institution to decide what is most efficient in their case. If you only have a little activity on your server and lots of data you should probably leave the data as snapshot files. If you have lots of activity and a moderate amount of data you shoud probably reformat the data.

I just want to get folks thinking along these lines instead of assuming that LAS and THREDDS aggregation will do some magic to make all of their data management problems go away.

-- Jon