Re: [las_users] 5th Dimension

Hi Michael,

Unidata is working on this problem in their latest THREDDS Data Server (TDS), which handles aggregation. You can check out the proposed spec at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ncml/v2.2/ModelAggregation.html

If you have GRIB data (one time step per file), you may be able to do this right now with a GDS and a sufficiently artful way to configure it.

The hard part seems to be in how to "aggregate" (pick and choose) the time steps. Setting up LAS should be relatively straightforward after that. You could use the configurable LAS "categories" to allow your users to select among the many time series that can be aggregated (as per the Unidata spec.).

- steve

==============================

Godin, Michael wrote:

I am trying to serve a 5-D model forecast with dimensions of [nowcast
time, forecast hours, depth, latitude, longitude]. I'd like users to be
able to fix either the nowcast-time dimension or the forecast-hours
dimension, and use the other time dimension as a normal time dimension.
Has anyone out there successfully (i.e., elegantly and intuitively)
represented such a 5-dimensional gridded data set with a Live Access
Server?

Thanks, Mike

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin@noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744