Re: CPAN installation

CPAN should try alternative download methods if LWP isn't present (lynx, ftp, etc.). It should warn you if LWP isn't present, and then try one of the alternatives.

You might try removing your ~/.cpan directory and trying again.

If you manually install the Perl modules, the configuration scripts will handle linking with existing libraries.
The usual procedure to build a module is:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install