Re: Projected Data in LAS/Ferret?

Mark,

The problem is with the LiveMap applet inside of LAS.  There is not any
way currently to tell it that a map is not lon-lat with units in
degrees.  In LAS 5.2 you can associate different maps with individual
datasets or variables but the lon-lat restriction remains.

The only way I've worked around this with "curvilinear" datasets is to
create a new image for the  map and specify the axes in terms of indices
rather than units.  For example I have one dataset where I define axes
like this:

 <Galveston_I type="x">
  <arange start="1" step="1" size="181"/>
 </Galveston_I>
 <Galveston_J type="y">
  <arange start="1" step="1" size="101"/>
 </Galveston_J>

The applet shows the map but the textfields incorrectly show N and E as
if the units were degrees.  Further hacking was required to get around
the default assumptions when the region is set.

Again using configurability in LAS v5.2 I created a new method (perl
subroutine) to be associated with XY plots for this variable.  Inside of
custom.pl I copied some code from Ferret.pl to create the visualization
but I set the region using I and J instead of X and Y so that Ferret
would interpret these as index space.

The bottom line is that we don't support non-rectilinear, gridded data
but that a determined individual can hack a work-around.

-- Jon