Zero divides?

I've been reading some ferret scripts trying to figure out how they work
and I've come across a statement that I don't understand. In
vertical_section.jnl, there is a line:

let ttup_vsec = 1/0       ; a place holder

I'm curious to know why 1/0 doesn't cause a divide by zero when it's
evaluated. Or maybe it does and ferret is catching it? But why use 1/0
rather than just 0?

   Glenn

----
Dr. Glenn Carver, Senior Research Associate,
Centre for Atmospheric Science, Chemistry Dept., Cambridge University, UK
mailto:Glenn.Carver@atm.ch.cam.ac.uk   http://www.atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/~glenn/

              "I never think of the future, it comes soon enough"
                   - Albert Einstein