Memory allocation

I suspect that the -memsize option of ferret vs 4.91 is not working on my Sun Ultra 60 (Solaris 6).  I have 380 Mbytes of memory and I'm getting messages like:

**ERROR insufficient memory: 18997264 words were requested

when I "stat" a large variable (92x38x11x494) even though I specify "-memsize 100" and no other applications are running.  Am I missing something or is ferret not working as expected?