5 dimensions

Hi,

The FERRET manual says that ferret cannot handle more than 4 dimensional data
sets.  I'd like to use ferret to look at the output of a model in which the
variables are decomposed into vertical modes.  The net value of any model
variable at a given depth then is the result of a summation of var_n (where n
is the vertical mode number) over the N vertical modes.  Since var_n is
therefore a function of x,y,t, and n, and the mode shape psi_n is a function
of mode number n and depth z, there are 5 independent "axes" for ferret to
handle.

I'd like to keep var_n in the netCDF file, using ferret to compute the sums.
This way I can sum over any combination of modes and also compute those
model variables that can be derived from the primary dependent variables.
In this case, u_n, v_n, and p_n are the variables that are solved for, it
being possible to derive w and rho (density) from these 3.

I tried defining u,v, and p as functions of (n,x,y,t) and psi as a function
of (n,z), but this did not work.

So what I have now are u,v, and p as functions of (x,y,z, and t), after
summing over the N modes.  So, when I want to compare the contributions
of different modes, I have to create a new dataset.
This is not a problem, except that the files are huge.  Also, to view the w
and rho fields, I have do the computation outside of ferret, generating
another dataset.  Seems a pity, given the powerful analysis tools ferret
provides.

Is there some way that ferret can be tricked into accepting the 5 "axes"?

Regards, Shankar.

D. Shankar                             Ph.:   (91)(832) 226253-56 ext 224/400
Physical Oceanography Division,        Fax:   (91)(832) 223340/221360
National Institute of Oceanography,    email: shankar@csnio.ren.nic.in
Dona Paula, Goa 403 004, India.