[no subject]

Hello,

I'm using "converting_to_netcdf" to convert 32-bit ieee to NetCDF. The
"converting" files do what they should and the data is properly converted;
alas, the time axis is a disaster. Instead of the timesteps merely being
incremented by 1 through each pass through the do loop, they end up as
powers of two. The first five years end up not as years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 but
as years 0.0078125, 2, 32, 512, 2048.

Up to here it is not strictly  a "ferret" problem but a conversion one; I
send it to this list because the conversion program was supplied by
ferret (and is outlined in the manual).

Plotting does actually work. I don't much mind that the date at the top
is something wild & woolly, but because the dates grow so large so
quickly, "year 2048" is all ferret cares to deal with! I'd like to get at
the rest of my record (there are 46 years in all; the last one ends up
being year "103 billion"), but am unceremoniously expelled from ferret as
soon as the dates get too big.

When I tried this problem out on seasoned ferreteers here, they mumbled
things about time axes being a pain and made me leave. I trust then that
the problem is a common one and that someone can help me solve it!

Barbara Winter