Re: [ferret_users] ferret and ERDDAP

Dear Patrick and Joshua,

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 1:37 AM Joshua Osborne - NOAA Affiliate <joshua.osborne@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ . . . ]

  You can, therefore, use ERDDAP as a data source from within PyFerret just as you would any other data source.

I wonder if you can elaborate on this?  I'm curious and interested.

I'm familiar with OPeNDAP servers.  If you visit a data server such as apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu , you find this kind of page:

http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu/dods/public_data/Argo_Products/annual_mean/Gridded_annual_mean.info

where you find a URL of the dataset you want to use, such as

http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu:80/dods/public_data/Argo_Products/annual_mean/Gridded_annual_mean

You open this URL on PyFerret, like so

yes? set data "http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu:80/dods/public_data/Argo_Products/annual_mean/Gridded_annual_mean"
yes? show data

and then you can use the dataset as if it were a local netCDF file.

What about ERDDAP ?  The page (https://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/pmel/erddap/index.html ) seems to be saying that OPeNDAP is somehow included or covered or something.

Regards,
Ryo