[ferret_users] Difference between fill and shade

Hi!

Can someone please tell me the difference between the commands FILL and SHADE? I had been plotting a highly pixelated variable using FILL which gave pretty smooth features. When I (accidentally) redid the plot with SHADE, it gave me a highly pixelated version but possibly closer to my data.

I have checked this with coads_climatology and the same thing happens. I would like to understand the difference so then I can make the right choice for my data. Any help is highly appreciated! I use PyFerret v7.5 (on macOS High Sierra, v10.13.6)

Thanks
Amelia